Reporting Services - Courseware and Tools
Reporting Services reports may be authored with:
- Visual Studio 2005, 2008 using Report Designer
- SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio (included with SQL Server) for SQL 2008 R2 and earlier
- SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012
- Report Builder (included with SQL Server)
Report Authoring Extension
For writing reports that use FetchXML as a data source the Report Authoring Extension must be installed on the computer with Business Intelligence Development Studio or SQL Server Data Tools (version 5.00.9690.3448 of the Report Authoring Extension includes support for SQL Server Data Tools).
Supported development enviroments include:
- Visual Studio 2008 SP1
- Visual Studio 2010
- Business Intelligence Development Studio
- SQL Server Data Tools
but not Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2013.
This article compares Report Builder and Report Designer
Relevant Microsoft courseware: